Friday, February 20, 2009

The Award Goes To...

There are only a couple people in this world who I truly consider musicians. When I say that, I mean people who actually make music. Not just rap, not just sing, and not just skilled at making beats. I mean someone who can meld all of these things into something exquisite and wonderous. The award I'm getting ready to hand out is very much so deserved. Here are the nominess for Musician of the Quarter (has to be only a quarter because the year just started):

Photobucket

Wayne was the story of '08 and continues his strong performances into the new year. Having just won four Grammys (including Rap Album of the Year) Wayne is simply the man right now. Still riding out the success of Tha Carter 3, he is preparing a rock takeover. But those Prom Queen and Hot Revolver songs lose him credibility.

Photobucket

The winner of three Grammys themselves, Coldplay KILLED last year. They made white dudes relevant in the minds of black people once again. By collabing with Wayne, Kanye, and Jay-Z last year, they brought themselves to the forefront of music.

Photobucket

Nobody can stop this chick right now. She's got a bunch of dance crazy videos that continue to fill up '09. Say what you want about her dancing, but she makes music and makes money. By dropping this album this early in the year, she sets the tone for all women in the game. Hella unfair. The Sasha Fierce side of her album was fly, but she kinda went blank with no alter ego, the Beyonce side sucked. She still married Jay-Z though.

Photobucket

Drizzy. This man has been all over Wayne's music for the past year. The man isn't a newcomer, but he has been slept on. The man's new mixtape is INCREDIBLE, and I can't think of a more highly anticipated MIXTAPE. A MIXTAPE! With collabos from Wayne, Bun B, Omarion, Trey Songz, and even Lloyd, it seems he's been co-signed for.

Photobucket

I honestly don't know how she did it, but the chick made a comeback. You might be just as confused as I am, but you gotta add the fact that the "Womanizer" song stuck with everybody. She got back in shape, got her hair back, and got her kids just in time for '09.

Photobucket

Kanye West. He makes some of the best music of our generation. He can't sing, contrary to his own belief, and that's his only knock. His ego and creativity takes him to new levels. His last album drew mixed reviews, but I think it's phenomenal.

And the winner is:

Photobucket

I gotta go with my guy Drake. When I say music, I mean that shit. I listened to his mixtape (no, I WAITED for MONTHS for his mixtape) and was blown away. He completely exceeded my expectations. The man can do his thing. Unlike Wayne and Kanye, he can rap AND sing. He's the only person in the world that can make Omarion relevant. How many people can hold their own on a track with Bun B and Wayne? And who sings with Lloyd?! Drake bro...cop the mixtape: So Far Gone (mixtapetorrent.com)

Congrats.

2 comments:

  1. Drake is a phenomenon. ( I hope I spelled that right) And for him to win such a prestigious award against Kanye must speak volumes about him. lol
    I do believe that he beats Wayne in every aspect. Now he is what music represents ! I love Drake
    lmao that you tried to clown Britney ! 'she got her hair back' lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Drake is on Degrassi for christ sakes ! why wouldn't he win ?!?
    -psh he is the man.

    ReplyDelete